The Michigan Society of Professional Engineers (MSPE) encourages high school seniors with talent and commitment to pursue an engineering degree. MSPE offers scholarships to students pursuing an engineering degree at an ABET-accredited college or university in Michigan. The scholarships are funded by the past and current generosity of individuals, leading companies and educational institutions. All scholarships are based on merit and are to be used toward tuition. Applicants must meet minimum criteria to qualify.
If you have any questions regarding the MSPE Scholarship Application or process, please contact our State Coordinator, Donald Nedervelt (email@example.com).
Chapter Scholarship Contacts
At Large, Blue Water, Capital Area, and Southwestern Chapters: Don Nedervelt
Detroit Metro: Pamela Lemme, PE (firstname.lastname@example.org, 248-546-3464)
Flint: Amanda Hemeyer, PE (email@example.com, 810-341-7500)
Jackson: Garrett Day, PE (Garrett.firstname.lastname@example.org, 517-206-6650)
Muskegon: Craig E. Yendell, PE (email@example.com, 231-425-3508)
Northern: Bob Verschaeve, PE (firstname.lastname@example.org, 231-933-5102)
Southeastern: Patrick M. Lewis PE (email@example.com, 734-384-9124)
Western: Peter Elzinga, PE (firstname.lastname@example.org, 517-231-9820)
The 2022 MSPE Scholarship Application is now available.
The deadline to submit is February 15, 2022.
All MSPE Scholarships must be used toward tuition for an engineering degree at an ABET-accredited college or university in Michigan.
The following scholarships have been offered to students in the past. For additional information go to www.michiganspe.org.
MSPE Memorial Scholarships
Kenneth B. Fishbeck, PE
Harry R. Ball, PE
Grand Valley State University
Lake Superior State University
Lawrence Technological University
Michigan State University
Michigan Technological University
Saginaw Valley State University
University of Detroit-Mercy
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
University of Michigan-Dearborn
Wayne State University
Western Michigan University
Eligibility & Requirements
- Be currently accepted in an engineering degree program at a Michigan ABET-accredited college or university. Scholarship awards are contingent upon acceptance for admission and an intent to earn a degree in engineering and enter the practice of engineering after graduation. Computer Science is not considered an accepted engineering major.
- Be a high school senior, a resident of Michigan and a U.S. Citizen at the time of application.
- Have at least a 3.0 grade point average (GPA) based on a 4.0 scale, for the sophomore (10th grade) and junior (11th grade) years in high school.
- Submit a list of current classes being taken as a senior (12th grade).
- Provide an official high school transcript and SAT test score.
- Write and submit an essay (typewritten, min. 11 point font) of 250 words on “How I was influenced to pursue an engineering career.”
- Complete an application for a free student membership in MSPE/NSPE.
- All applications must be submitted online. You will receive a confirmation when we receive your application.
Initial judging will be made on the basis of each candidate’s high school record, participation in extracurricular activities, evidence of leadership, character and self-reliance. Applicants may be contacted for an interview by a member of the Scholarship Selection Committee.
The Scholarship Selection Committee will award points based on GPA, SAT score, activities, honors, essay and supplemental credits. Points will also be awarded for college-level courses completed while in high school.
Questions should be directed to your local chapter scholarship coordinator.